I just watched the first (and sadly, the only) season of Firefly for the first time ever. I know, I’m so behind the times on this but I’ve been educated and that’s got to count for something, right? So, having now finally seen it, like all other fans of anything Joss Whedon related, I am utterly disgusted and devastated that it only ran for one season. However, those highly addictive and thoroughly entertaining episodes taught me a few important things, which I feel I must now impart. Ahem.
Lessons I Learnt From Firefly
· God chooses who dies based on how (so very) pretty we are. So Nathan Fillion and I are pretty much gonna live forever.
· Loyalty is extremely important. You protect your own and you don’t let anybody mess with your people. Because they’re your people.
· Redheaded women are the devil and will make you shave your beard. They’re not to be trusted.
· You can’t be rude to or about a person’s vehicle (or spaceship). It’s not the done thing.
· Money is a powerful incentive.
· You should avoid trusting people too freely.
· Suspenders are sexy.
· Unruly hair can be terrifying.
· Unresolved sexual tension is bad. Avoid it and just have the sex and enjoy the sex because the sex is good. *nods*
· Sword fights are totally manly.
· Men don’t have the monopoly on being badass, and women are perfectly capable of being strong, independent and hardcore awesome. Now, I didn’t need to learn this but I felt it was important nonetheless.
· Diversity, man. I really don’t need to say more.
· No relationship, romantic or otherwise, is perfect.
· If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill ’em right back.
· Once again, Nathan Fillion is so very pretty.
Guys, if you haven’t watched Firefly, do yourself a favour. I can’t believe it took me this long to get around to watching it but now that I have, I feel infinitely better about my life. Go forth, watch and learn valuable lessons (which here means ‘quotes and references with the occasional serious point about badass women’).
Have fun, y’all.